Sindhu Bhairavi is a raga in Hindustani and Carnatic classical music, belonging to the Asavari thaat. In Carnatic music
It is a Janya raga of the 8th melakartha raga Hanumatodi.
In Carnatic music it is a Bhashangaraga, in which all the 12 notes are applicable.
Arohanam: S R1 G2 M1 P D1 N2 S
Avarohanam: S N2 D1 P M1 G2 R1 S
The raga features the Sadja, Suddha and Chatusruti Rishabha, Suddha Madhyama (and Prati Madhyama in special phrases), Pancama, Suddha Dhaivata (and Chatusruti Dhaivata in special phrases), Kaisiki Nishada (and Kakali Nishada too), in fact, almost everything!
The raga brings Viraham (separation), Shokam (sorrow), Karunam (compassion) and Bhakthi (devotion) rasas.
This raga is suited for lighter pieces, exudes bhakti and sringara rasas, and could melt mountains.
- Venkatachala Nilayam, Tamboori meetidava, Vrindavanave Mandira, Tirupati Venkataramana, Harihara ninnanu, Elliruvano Ranga, Kai Meeri Hoda Matige By Purandara Dasa
- Narasimhanembo Devanu is a long and beautiful composition of Purandara Dasa which contains the full story of Narasimha charitre is sung in Sindhubhairavi
- Vishweshwar Darshan, Bhaja Bhaja, Ramachandra Prabhu – Maharaja Swathi Thirunal
- Kalyana Gopalam – Narayana Theertha
- Karunai Daivame – Madurai Srinivasan
- Thillana – Lalgudi Jayaraman