15th Melakarta, 3rd Chakram (Agni Chakram)
Actual Name: “Malavagowla”. ‘Maya’ has been added in accordance with 72nd Melakarta Scheme, so as to obtain the number 15 by the application of ‘Katapayadi Sutram’.
Swarasthanas: Shadjam, Suddha Rishabham, Antara Gandharam, Suddha Madhyamam, Panchamam, Suddha Daivatam, Kakali Nishadam.
Jiva Swaram: g, n
Amsa Swaram: g, p
Nyasa Swaram: g, d, n
Pitch: From Mandra ‘p’ to Tara ‘p’
- Very old raga, has many Janya ragas. One of the old ragas as mentioned in ‘Sangeeta Ratnakara’.
- This is the raga in which all the students of Carnatic music are taught the preliminary swara excercises.
- Kritis start start in s, g, m, d, n, s
- Tristhayi raga
- This ragais able to evoke a soft and soothing feeling.
- This mela corresponds to Bhairav Thaat of Hindusthani Music.
- Swarasthanas with dual names are absent here.
- There is only a semitonal difference … between the two notes of each of the four pairs (i) s, r (ii) g, m (iii) p, d ; (iv) n, S
- This raga admits of Janta swaras, and datu swara prayogas in quick time and slow times.
- Achala swaras and Kampita swaras figure herein.
Some Prominent Composition are:
Laksana Gita Ravikoti teja Matya
Kriti Meru Samana Madhyadi Tyagaraja Swamy
Kriti Tulasi Dalamulache Rupaka Tyagaraja Swamy
Kriti Vidulaku Mrokkeda Adi Tyagaraja Swamy
Kriti Mayateeta Swaroopini Rupaka Ponnayya
Kriti Devadi Deva Rupaka Mysore Sadasiva Rao